Friday, December 25, 2009


Merry Christmas!

We're in Tulsa spending the holiday with my family. The flights to Tulsa last weekend were a little hectic. We got delayed in Raleigh and didn't end up taking off until 5pm when we were supposed to leave at 3. It was so much easier flying this time with Alan. Going through security yourself with a baby and a stroller is kind of hard by yourself because you have to dismantle the stroller, take off your shoes and do the whole bag thing all while holding a baby. Alan and I were able to work as a team to do it this time and didn't take nearly as long. Henry was an excellent travler again except he didn't get the memo that you just don't poop on an airplane. As soon as we took off from Raleigh my sweet little boy produced some of the loudest, most rude noises and some pretty evil smells. Alan and I argued back and forth about who was going to change him and I was the lucky one. It was seriously one of the most stressful things I've had to do...I'm still not really sure why. That tiny little bathroom with a screaming kid trying to change a very large loaded diaper without getting it all over me...oh man. I was nearly in tears when I got back to my seat. (I know, over dramatic, still not sure why it stressed me out so much, probably because he was screaming bloody murder and I could tell he was frightened).

You probably already know, but if you didn't, Tulsa had a "REAL" blizzard last night. First blizzard warning ever issued in Tulsa. Oh my God it was so wild. I have never seen such weather. It started off rain and then turned to sleet which promptly turned to snow. The wind was howling so hard it shook the house. This violent wind was blowing so hard that it took my step-fathers big grill that was pushed up against the back of the porch and moved it all the way to the edge of the porch. And it's a big grill.

I am just so happy to be inside a nice warm house with my family. A lot of people in this area are stranded at home and not able to visit family because of the roads.

Henry's done really well this trip. The first couple of days you could tell he was a little confused by our surroundings but now seems to be getting comfortable again. He got back on his normal sleeping eating schedule today. Currently he's consistantly sleeping from 10pm to 8am or so. It's amazing really. He's 14lbs and 23 inches and already wearing 6-9 month clothes at 12 weeks old. He's a big boy! I'm going to post some pictures and maybe some videos if I can figure out how to post them. He's figured out he has control of his hands and is grasping items. He laughs and smiles lots when you talk pretty to him. Every day he's more and more aware...almost like he's woken up from a long slumber and is figuring things out. Very cool.

I hope everyone's holiday is wonderful.


Nikosmommy said...

I have Sooooo been there with the super nasty/traumatic mid-air diaper change. Why are airplane bathrooms so freakin small?!? Ooooh the joys of mama-hood!

joyfully gray said...

Oh Lord ... the flying with the bambino! On our last flight the flight attendant got quite angry with me for changing Lucia on my lap, then wrapping the dirty pee diaper in a plastic bag and asking here where to throw it... Like how dare I change my daughter on a 10 hour flight! And how dare I politely ask if there was a receptacle in particular in which she wished for me to dispose of waste. Bitch.